Tuesday, December 22, 2009

And So It Begins

Well, here it is: my first official blog post. Somehow I feel like it should contain something more significant than an introduction, but that's about all I have right now. I must admit, it's kind of strange for me to write this without knowing who will read it. But since that's part of the point anyway, I think I shall have to get over it.

I leave for Egypt in one week. The days in between now and then will be a flurry of family and food, church and Christmas celebrations, packing and farewells. I need to be intentional about actually experiencing it, because it would be very easy to sort of float through and not come to my senses until I get off the plane in Cairo. The brevity of my visit home intensifies the normal concerns of balancing to-do lists and family time, but such is life.

Yesterday I received my housing assignment for SIS (Semester in Spain). (Nicole Baeten, wherever you are, I look forward to rooming with you for a semester.) The instructions explained that upon arrival I am to hail myself a taxi,
introduce myself to my host family, and get myself to orientation two days later. Even though I laughed at the slip of of paper with my address on it which I'm to hand to the taxi driver (Por favor, lleváme a la siguiente dirección) and the explanation of how to read the address itself, I did so only half in jest. I've never actually hailed a cab in America, and now I get to do so for the first time in Spain. Unless I have reason to do so in Egypt first. . .


No comments:

Post a Comment