Thursday, January 21, 2010

Failed Egyptian Pick-Up Lines

One of the disadvantages of traveling alone. . .

(Although it gave me an excuse to perfect the art of ignoring people as I walked down the street.)

"So cute. Welcome to Egypt."

"Have a nice trip."

"How are you?"

"Hello. I love you, I love you."

"Welcome to Egypt."

[something indiscernible in German]

"Why no smile?"

"Hello."

"Where are you from?"

"So beautiful. . ."

"From Russia? От Russia?"

"Hello."

"Welcome to Egypt."

"Señora. . ."

"Beautiful."

"Why no smile?"

"Welcome to Egypt."

"Hello." (I started to wonder if they´d ever considered how unoriginal this one was.)

"Hello? Where smile?"

[As I walked back past a shop at which I had stopped previously to look at knives.] "You want knife to kill your husband?"

"Welcome to Egypt. Welcome to Aswan."

"Hello. What is your name?"

"Why so serious?"

"Cabello. . ."

"Hello. Hello? Hello. . . [And when I didn´t respond.] What language?"

"Welcome to Egypt."

"I am here. I am alone. And I am still alive."

3 comments:

  1. Wait- is the last comment yours or did someone say that to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the last one wasn´t mine. It was by a vendor sitting in front of his shop of touristy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've gotten many similar comments while traveling...yay for being blonde! Are you in Spain yet?

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete